- CintaNotes – a self-contained application that organizing notes into a strip running down the side of a screen or minimized. Really useful for online research.
- Goo.gl – Google has finally launched its own url shortener, which it’s being billed as the “Stablest, Most Secure, And Fastest URL Shortener On The Web.” Plus, if you simply add “.qr” to the end of any goo.gl URL, it will create a QR code!
- Soylent – a plugin for Micro$oft Word that farms out fact-checking, editing, rewriting and proofreading for pennies on Amazon’s Mechanical Turk service.
- Sumatra PDF – a small, portable alternative to Adobe Reader.
- BitTorrent preps live streaming technology – make your own YouTube
- Rutgers Student’s Suicide Follows Secret Webcast
- “They can promise strong encryption. They just need to figure out how they can provide us plain text.” The administration plans to submit legislation to Congress in 2011 which would mandate any communications technology operating in the United States to include technical measures to comply with wiretap orders.
- “U.S. should be able to shut Internet, former CIA chief says”
- 5 Steps to a Family-Safe Internet
- Brain Coprocessors: The need for operating systems to help brains and machines work together.
- Novacut, a new open-source video editor, owes its origins to Joss. “We’re developing [this] video editor because there’s no reason for Joss Whedon to ever have a show canceled.
- The OpenOffice.org Project has unveiled a major restructuring that separates itself from Oracle and that takes responsibility for OpenOffice away from a single company. … Driving home the changes, OpenOffice.org project is now The Document Foundation while the OpenOffice.org suite has been given the temporary name of LibreOffice.
- PC Magazine picks the Best Free Mac Software 2010.
- A NerdKit is a combination of electronic parts and wisdom, which together will teach you about digital electronics, embedded systems, and how to bridge computers with the “real world”.
- With the unveiling of the BlackBerry Playbook, a 7″ iPad competitor solidly aimed at business, are the tablet wars heating up?
- Google has added Antarctica to street view, complete with penguins.
- Is the Media Obsessed with Apple?
- A Tour of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s Home
- Who else feels this way about phone books?
Discussion / OpEd